Barnes & Noble

Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday: Going to the Doctor: Question Tips on Your Next Visit






Going to the Doctor: Question Tips on Your Next Visit

There are three ways your doctor can help you stay healthy – prevention, screening and treatment. Unfortunately, many people see their doctors only to get treated when they are sick. These people often miss lifesaving opportunities to prevent health problems or catch them at an early stage, when they can be treated most easily.

Be sure to ask your doctor about screening tests recommended by the American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association and American Heart Association and other tests and services to determine which ones are right for you.

Your doctor will ask about your family history. Certain forms of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke can run in some families. Information about health problems among your closest relatives will help tell your doctor whether you need to be especially cautious about preventing certain diseases through lifestyle changes or medication.

Talk to a Healthcare Professional about your risk for Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Disease and Stroke.

  • Do you have a family history of cancer, diabetes, heart disease or stroke?
  • Are you physically inactive?
  • Are you overweight?
  • Do you smoke cigarettes or are you exposed to others who smoke?

Reducing your risk for disease or early detection of disease may increase your chances for a longer, healthier life.

You may need certain tests earlier or more often than recommended for your age group if you are at higher than average risk.

Question Tips

Take This List of Questions to Your Next Doctor’s Appointment.

  1. At my age, what screening tests should I have?
  2. I’ve got a family history of (cancer/diabetes/heart disease/stroke). Is there a different schedule of screening tests I should follow?
  3. With my family history, do I need to be more concerned about my diet? My weight? My physical activity level?
  4. Am I at a healthy weight? What should I do to lose weight?
  5. How much physical activity should I get? How can I get started?
  6. What’s the best way for me to stop smoking?

For additional information contact American Heart Association at (888) MY-HEART (694 –3278) or visit americanheart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment